However, en route I noticed a nail spa that was open. I'm on the hunt for a place where all of us gals can do mini/pedis the day before The Wedding Date.
So, I go in & spontaneously get a $13 manicure. Yup, cheap! The woman spoke very little English, but after limited conversation I learned she was Vietnamese. Thanks to my pal, Ms. Bui, I do have SOME knowledge of the culture, so we proceeded to talk about the Lunar Calendar, Vietnamese New Year, and the best places for Pho. The place was charming & it was nice to do something pampering!
I pressed on & thought about how a little pampering goes a long way. So, while at QS mall, I noticed a massage 'kiosk.' Given there's no where to get a walk-up massage on a Sunday evening, I went for it. It was heaven. Who'd have thought that right smack in the middle of a suburban mall that I could find inner peace. My 20 minute massage was conducted by a sweet Chinese woman who proceeded to visit with her husband in said native language and accompanied by some soothing humming she sporadically performed. Perfect!
I was feeling relaxed & ready to tackle my mission when I noticed a peculiar site at the kiosk next to the massage area: a woman had thread in her mouth & was meticulously performing some odd procedure on a young girl's eyebrows. What?
Curiosity got the best of me so I lingered. It was called 'threading.' Have you heard of this? I started talking to the next customer in line for this weird ritual, and I learned it is the way many women in the east shape their brows. It is said to be more precise than waxing or plucking, not to mention it lasts much longer. It was $10. Sold!
When my turn came, I was nervous at how painful it would be. Not too bad I soon learned. The girl performing this artistry was from India. She says threading originated in Nepal. She spent a long time getting my arches just right, especially when I told her I was getting married in 3 weeks & that I was excited to not have to touch my brows until then! I am a new woman....threading is awesome. My eyebrows are the most well-kept I've ever had them. Boys, it is these little things that make us happy. Remember that. ;)
Can't wait for our mani/pedi date! :)
ReplyDeleteI wanna inspect those eyebrows! I've never heard of threading.
ReplyDelete