Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Lost in My Mind



Honestly, most CC music annoys me to a point of teeth grinding. Yup, I am snobby & cynical about that. (google "CC music" if you are confused, I can't even type the genre name because even that is quite annoying to me). But let's step back & analyze. Am I really a snob because I have musical preferences? I mean, if musicians are gonna share the gifts, given to them by the Creator no less, bring your best game forward, my friend! Don't write a crappy, pappy song & expect me to like it because it is about God! Don't force me to turn to "secular" music to actually be inspired & worship my God. Yet, that is often the way it goes. I often find the divine in things that didn't set out to be labeled that way. After all, many Christians create things & don't stamp the "CC" label on it. Or call it "praise & worship."

Anyway, I digress. There's a major exception in all of that for me. Perhaps it bloomed out of the fact that my dear college band/friends & I did a lot of listening, discussing, & imitating of this man's music, but I have a super soft spot in my heart for Steven Curtis Chapman. It does not hurt at all that he is an AMAZING guitar player & author of melody, but what always got me the most was his amazing (and I believe, inspired) lyrics. I will always remember the long drives I'd take, hashing out my beliefs in my head, trying to learn how to talk to God, and often his music was the backdrop.

Just felt like sharing this song because, well, it just lights the little belly of my soul & pretty much sums up what I want to remember every day of my life. (Even when I am being a stogy, snobby cynic). ;)

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, goof up there. This song is also a favorite. Just disregard the semi-cheesy video a fan made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63nTGwxWp0M

    ReplyDelete