Sunday, January 19, 2014

Why I Believe

We've been hearing some great messages at the church we are attending as a family.  Granted, the last few weeks have been Sundays at home, with Luke recovering from a horrible rash... then my broken toe incident last Sunday morn (ouch!).  Today was one easy to skip... first Sunday all is well, me well-rested finally, the sun shining.  Yet I am glad we did not.  So many great words to soak in & ponder.  He posed the simple question: Why are you doing this?

'THIS' meaning church, Christianity, faith.  I took a moment to jot down my gut reactions, no deep reflection.  Here is the list of my initial responses:

1.  Jesus spread a message of love and acceptance.  I want to live that.

2.  The Lord pricked my heart.  He sought me.  I must respond with obedience.
  -I can distinctly recall the time, the place, the surrounding occurrences, of when I know He called to me.  I was 27.  I had wrestled with faith but in that day, there was no more question.  I KNEW.  It was powerful.

3.  I don't ponder the afterlife.  It's really not a tug for me to believe.  However, Heaven sounds amazing, so if given the choice, why would I not want that?

4.  Life makes so much more sense when I am turning to a power bigger than me & bigger than us all.  I see His work... when I am seeking to find it.

3 comments:

  1. I liked when he was talking about Christianity not being about what we do wrong and right. I feel like a lot of my life i've felt Christianity was doing everything right with no wrong or you would be judged. For several years i haven't actually believed that but its nice to hear it from the pulpit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, Jenn. Very refreshing. We may not make it to church 'religiously'...(you see that there?)...but is extremely awesome whenever we do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete