Tuesday, October 25, 2016

That Fueled Me

Last Friday ended up being a busy--the fun kind of busy---day for the boys and I.  A semi-spontaneous playdate with Julie & co.  We just don't see each other enough these days.

It was a gorgeous October day and I finally had a great opportunity to go visit my dear Nova at her new house, new acreage, with the boys.  And as we were on the turnpike my gas light came on.  Being that Nova's place was waayy out of Edmond limits, I knew I couldn't chance it on the gas.  We exited at Eastern to go hit a nearby 7-11.

My jaw dropped when I opened my wallet.  No debit card!  Noooooo!  We once had a credit card, and in my valiant effort to slay our debt, that convenience is no more.  So, I knew that would be missing.  But the debit?  That's a staple.  I just couldn't recall where it had gone.  And definitely no cash on me.  I really need to get better about that.

I searched in every nook and cranny to drum up $3 in change.  My boys hurried in with me to do the prepay you must do with cash.  My boys held up various delectables that tease every child near the register.

"Boys, you remember that mommy is out of gas?  And that she barely came up with $3 in coins?  Sorry, guys!"

I counted out my change to the cashier and with a slight pink sprinked over my cheeks told her that I left any cash or credit by accident, that this was all I had.  I also asked her if she thought I could safely make it to Midwest Boulevard. ;)

As I scooped up the coins after the tally, a young (maybe 19, 20?) gal quietly handed the girl some bills and said something about "six."  Oh, she is bringing my gas total up to 6!  Yes!  I'll make it everywhere we needed to go before I can get home & get that dang card back in my wallet!

I profusely thanked her but she honestly seemed like she didn't want much fuss.   I wonder if she knew how thrilled I was!  All I could think to say since she didn't want more Thank Yous --and because I'm sure she'd find out my true nutty self if I offered to come to her house to repay her--was that I would pay it forward.  She liked that.

As she drove off I was pumping my gas, and she caught a glance of me just as my jaw was dropping.  I thought she had brought my total up to six.  No, she had given six dollars...my thirsty little tank got a nice, fat $9 of gas!  It was almost a half tank!  Man, I was and am so grateful!

She was likely in college.  She likely worked hard for those 6 dollars.

And the other take-away was that the things she heard me saying, the story I told my boys and the cashier....could easily be one of the tales you hear from pandering peeps.  In my part of the city, you get it a lot. They weave really good fibs and know how to spot the bleedinghearts. :)  There's often a flat tire, a dying relative, something critical in the tale. It can be tiresome, quite honestly.

And that day I was on the otherside.  And I really needed a little help.

Lord, thank you for humbling me.

No comments:

Post a Comment