...speaking of, Gena: I hope you got my voicemail today! PS: One of my BFF's got to play with the Transiberian Orchestra last night. Can that make me cool by association?
I met an old friend for dinner tonight. Yes, sushi. I promise, it was her suggestion. ;) Anyway, it's a former co-worker who I don't see very often. Probably twice a year. Yet, we have many similarities as far as our personalities and when we talk it reminds me of why we have that 'connection.' Our meal turned into a 2.5 hour conversation of a very deep spiritual nature. It got my wheels turning a bit.
I got home to my husband and, being that I was pondering some big thoughts, I had to share.
This turned into a long conversation on the porch, one of our best 'thinking spots' due to the freshly-planted flowers, herbs, and newly-cut grass.
We probably bantered on some deep spiritual matters for over an hour. Often, our sentences began with, "But, you see, that's not true because... ."
We both would take moments to soak in what the other would say, whether or not we would agree with the counterpoint or not. I know there were moments when Tanner would challenge me to see it outside of my own view, and vice versa.
The dialogue ended with us holding hands and silently agreeing to disagree on a few (usually mute) points. Overall, we see many things the same...I think that is key to a healthy marriage...but we often come to many (often diverse) conclusions from different points of view...also key to a healthy marriage.
All in all, it is beautiful that we challenge each other to think from new angles. I hope we never see the day that we both sit back, arms crossed, smug grins, and proclaim, "Wow, we got this all figured out. "
It would mean we are done growing, done learning.
And this is why Tanner is a kindred spirit to my own. I feel secure to share my innermost thoughts, and he will take them in. Sometimes he will agree, sometimes he will challenge it. But he hears it & knows that what I am saying is coming straight from my heart (maybe even my soul). And he respects it with all of his heart.
That is love.
No comments:
Post a Comment