Friday, April 30, 2010

Teenagers can do amazing things.

Get the cookies & the kleenex...this is a long one:

I don't know what it is about spring time...but something suddenly changes besides the flowers, leaves, and temperature. People seem to have a new zest for life. I know I do.

Yes, I am a newlywed so this spring is extra special....and yes, I am leaving my beloved little job soon so I am extra emotional...but really touching things are happening all around me.
First, let me tell you about Linh (I'm using names here because I have about 3 readers).

Linh is an amazing senior girl that I just got to know in the past 7 months. I don't have her for a student...she is far from the kind of students I work with. She is class president, she takes hard classes like Calculus, she plans nearly every event at school.

On a crazy whim, I saw an ad on TV for the KOCO Free Ride Scholarship. The moment I saw it I KNEW I had to nominate her. I've seen the girl at school at ALL hours either painting signs, hanging posters, typing essays, or doing homework. Oh yeah, all with a smile. I knew she was special.

So...I began "interviewing" her teachers to learn more. The deadline for all the paperwork was January. Over the holiday break, I read essays her English teacher gave me, essays she had written about her life for other scholarships, and many times chills ran down my spine.

Did I mention that she immigrated to our country with VERY little ability to speak the language and in extreme poverty?

Once all the info was gathered, I sat down to compose an essay that I felt captured her spirit and truly explained how amazing this young girl was. Being that I wasn't even her teacher, this took some disciplined research.

And in March....she learned she was picked in the Top Ten of 2000 applicants for this prize (oh yeah...a new car and $25,000). However, the celebration was soon followed by many tears. See, she is an Oklahoma resident but was still in process with full citizenship. They disqualified her! I might mention here that is was due to Linh's full disclosure...she's the one that made sure they knew she hadn't completed the process and I was just ignorant & didn't know since I don't work with her closely. I admired her for her honesty about that.

I thank God that I've learned to never take your first "No."

"Linh, come on, this isn't over yet," I said to the most disappointed face I've ever seen.

We scurried down to the TV station and quickly met with the deciding powers-that-be. Linh cried. She didn't mean to, she just did. And, after much analyzing of legal work, the TV PR manager learned that as long as she was in process (a very expensive & long process, mind you...many of us natural-borns don't know that) and we were trying to expedite it, she could remain in the competition.

You bet your momma's homemade chocolate chip cookies that I started calling every "mover and shaker" I knew. I don't know tons, but my little singing career has made me a few contacts here and there.

And God bless House Rep. Joe Dorman. One of the hardest-working politicians I know. I sing for some of his events, and I've grown to respect him so very much. He truly works for the "little people." Soon enough, he had me in touch with U.S. Senator Jim Inhofe's office. After several follow-up calls with them...we were in business! With their help we were ensured that Linh was getting the paperwork she needed done.

Fast forward to late April: a Channel 5 news crew surprised Linh to inform her that she was one of the 5 Finalists for this prestigious award! Top 5....out of 2000 kids! She has asked me to join her & her family at a banquet in late May where they will reveal the final scholarship winner.

She is still plugging away at many scholarship apps. See, she wants to go to OU and become a doctor because her goal in life is to open a charity clinic to help others overcome poverty. And she'll do it, by golly.

But it wasn't until a few days ago that I knew, I KNEW, that this girl has a divine hand over her. God had merely used me as a vessel to help her receive this amazing opportunity.

See, I usually work with the "forgottens." Children who are labeled "retarded" or told they will "never amount to anything." At my new school, the story is usually that their parents don't speak English and don't have the resources they need to even get their child the help he/she needs. Sometimes, more often at my old school, these kids are raised by parents who abuse drugs and often abuse their offspring. The stories are endless as to the injustice I've seen in my field. There's a reason I wish reproducing was not a right but a privilege.

Well, one of "mine" has struggled to make it to senior year. She lives in poverty, her family shows no support....they won't even take my calls when I try to have an IEP meeting or even just tell them what a good job she is doing. I won't tell the many reasons why I felt like God put her in my life these last two years. It'll make you disgusted at how unfair life can be.

I will tell you that I walked into work recently and Linh was looking at pictures of this said girl on her computer. They were beautiful!

"Linh, who did these senior pictures of _____ ?"

You gotta understand....she was coming to school with holey shoes and made fun of constantly for some of her bathing issues. Some of us adopted all the siblings & her for Christmas just so that they'd get new uniforms and toiletries. (They won't take "hand outs" so you have to be sneaky to give them anything).

But these pictures showed a young girl smiling in a gorgeous sun dress with make-up and joy on her face.

Linh smiled and quietly told me, "I did, Ms. Curl."

As I probed, she recounted to me the story of how one day after school, she asked this girl if she could fix her hair, give her a makeover, give her a dress, and take her Senior pictures.

I glanced back at the happy girl in the pictures and tried really hard to fight the tears. I don't let my students see me cry.

I went back into my office, closed the door, and said a short prayer.

Do not tell me there is not good in this world. Do not tell me God does not exist.
I don't have any reason to question those things...times like these are all I need.

1 comment:

  1. Great post!!! Linh sounds amazing! I pray that she will be granted the scholarship Lisa!

    ReplyDelete