Saturday, May 15, 2010

Good weekend (so far)

...And I write that title not with a hint of pessimism, but merely because it is only Saturday night. Still a big day tomorrow!

Last night, I watched several kids that have won my heart this year graduate from high school. Sometimes I am still perplexed to think that I am now one of the "adults" that possibly influences a student's life. I still feel like a kid in so many ways!

But I sucked back a few tears like a proud momma as many kids that I've really bonded with walked across that stage. It only made it sweeter that it was the stage of the same church that I just said my wedding vows in a mere month ago.

I sang the National Anthem to a packed St. Luke's room and I got a tad nervous. But that worked out just fine. It was a small part of a ceremony that hopefully marked the beginning of many wonderful stories yet to unfold. There are many:
-the girl who came to this country without yet speaking the language, only to address the crowd with her Salutatorian speech,
-the often-shy, very kind-hearted boy who finally found a voice and asked me for help when working on his college enrollment
-the girl who, when first meeting me as her Special Ed teacher, told me she was going to drop out because she was "too stupid" to graduate
-the young man who is often "missed in a crowd" that I've seen do more kind things for others this year than most of us do in a lifetime.

Yes, teaching high school has the perk of getting to see them through at "the end." Yet it is truly just the beginning.

Tonight, Laura & I played a gig that was so fun. It was a small crowd at the bookstore, but I think we thrive in that scenario. We tried new songs, we told lame jokes, and we embraced the fact that our friendship is only enhanced by our love of music. We really get to share something special by sharing song.

Afterwards, my dearest friends came over to watch my wedding video and see pictures. Mimosas, chocolate, taquitos, and lots of laughter. I have the greatest friends in the world & I feel lucky that they all love hanging out together. We will do that again, hopefully many times this summer.

And now, my husband and I are stealing a few quieter hours together, enjoying the rain and, obviously, a little computer time.

Is this the best time of my life? Probably so.

No comments:

Post a Comment