Monday, November 29, 2010

The Baby Section

I was caught offguard when it happened tonight. I was truly just trying to use some soon-to-expire coupons and load up on some recipe ingredients at the local supercenter. Yet a temptation I couldn't resist occurred after I grabbed my (couponed) Oxiclean. You see, the laundry detergent aisle is just across from...the baby section.

Oh, I've been to the baby section many, many times. It's often been in haste--hurrying with 4 pages of registry items in hand, trying to pick out just the right gift before I am late to the afternoon baby shower. I suppose for that purpose I've been visiting the baby section for the past 16 years (I became an aunt at 16, so I started young with the baby gifts!). And, yes, there were times when I wasn't in such a hurry and I'd linger & coo over those cute little bibs with just the right quip. And, tell me, does anyone have too cold a heart to not smile when you see those little shoes, even if you're merely passing by? Yeah, I've found joy in the baby section before, sometimes with a little bit of dreaming/fantasizing to boot.

Yet tonight was different. Really different.

I started out just wanting to get a better comprehension of what the giant boxes of Pampers were gonna be costing us. Then I started looking at all the expensive gear I'd need: strollers, playpens, carriers.

But that didn't overwhelm me just yet. Before I could get too caught up in number-crunching...a sea of blue caught my eye from the next row. Blue onsies, blue socks, blue bonnets, blue shorts. My eyes filled with tears almost instantly.

My little guy is gonna wear those.

I'm gonna be the mother of a precious little boy.

From there I was a blubbering baby myself. I waltzed on over to those little boy jeans & button-up oxford shirts and was at that point hoping no one was noticing me. If anyone would've strolled by it is quite possible I would've asked them for a hug. I had to call my friend, a mother of a 1-yr-old boy, and just lament about how exciting (and emotional) this was. "Is it normal that I'm getting like this, Laura?"

And of course she told me she was just as nutty once they found out their baby's gender.
I just needed a reality check. After all, I am aware that there are all kinds of crazy hormones racing through my system.

Hormones or not--I'm okay with getting a bit sentimental. I've waited a long time to be in the right 'place' to be a momma. Hand over the mom jeans & the cornball jokes...I want to join this club now.

I just can't wait to meet my little guy. I think I'm in love already. :)

1 comment:

  1. It is so hard once you know what you are having to wait to see your little one! (i'm sure its hard either way! :) It is so exciting and he will be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete