Friday, December 3, 2010

Focus on the Positives

Here's my own personal exercise in positive focus. Because quite frankly I'm PO'd right now. I won't go into the efforts I put into getting us in the weatherization program thru OG&E. Three episodes of letting strange men into my home for assessments only to have it all not work in the end. ARgggghhh!

So, I'll take this moment (before I go work on Psychodiagnostics....for real!) to recount a little blessing yesterday. It'll seem so small to just write it, but in the moment it was huge!

Let me explain: I am a breakfast gal. Not a cornflake girl. (I love Tori!) No, but I have to have some hearty calories when I wake. It's the meal I count on for total day function. So, I've been working at the little Catholic school downtown, and the only part I detest is getting up & out on these now-chilly morns. I have savored not working full time for the first long period of time in my entire adult life...so staying cozy is my idea of a good morning.

Thus, my motivation to get out the door is leaving early enough to stop somewhere & grab a quick breakfast. It's usually a breakfast burrito somewhere.
There are only a few choices along my route...so while Mickey D's is not my ideal breakfast choice, their dollar burrito gets the job done. With a soda, of course. I was all the way through the line and at the window when I realized that my wallet was still in my schoolbag from yesterday & not in the purse I was toting! VERY very bad. Function was not possible.

I zoomed off to get to work after apologizing to the drive-thru lady. (maybe someone got to eat my order, so maybe good for them?)

I can do this, I can suck it up & not have any 'fuel' for the morn. Heck, I may eat kindergarten snack with the kiddos at 10:15. :) However, one of the teachers greeted me when I walked in with, "Mary works at Starbucks & brought us muffins today!" I wanted to hug her! Yes, I get breakfast after all! To celebrate I also poured a small cup of coffee (which I mostly avoid during preggo time).

The teachers at this school are truly some of the nicest women (ok, there's one man). They have treated me so kindly even though I'm just the random college student that comes in a few half days. Many of them don't even know exactly what it is I'm doing. (it's kinda "21 Jump Street" eh?) But they've included me in their fold right from the start. And the nuns are so sweet.

But on this particular day, they saved my sanity! Thanks! Hail Mary! (heehee)

1 comment: