I watched a funny "The Middle" last night where the parents tried to have a 'Simple Christmas' and it was a big joke. But I seriously want to do that. Really, I do. I'm gonna have to get creative, but I don't want my kid(s) to get in gimme-gimme mode when December hits. I really hope I can get Tan on board someday to have the whole fam go serve at a soup kitchen Christmas Day or something. I ALWAYS wanted to do that with my nuclear fam but got vetoed every stinkin' year. And of course, I didn't want to go do it by myself, not to mention I'd get guilted for missing Christmas lunch. :)
I get it, I know it's fun to give gifts. Maybe I'm thinking about it differently this year because we are poor as church mice this time 'round and the giving is limited from us. But I've never been excited about a holiday where everyone is hurrying to get generic gift cards, Bath & Body, and such just so that they can check that name off the list. Birthdays are way more fun for gift-giving because you really do (hopefully) put more thought & time into honoring that person. And baby showers--it's fun to pick little people clothes for your friends. Wedding gifts are boring to shop for. Ok, let's not forget the "for no reason at all" gifts...I don't do those like I should. Those are the best gifts of all!
Ok, my dark cloud will quit hovering on your holiday. All mall-frenzy and commercial-jingles aside.........MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
Christmas will be fun!! Being with friends and family is part of the greatness of Christmas! Next year will be fun too....we have started a little tradition with Micah. 4 gifts. Something you need, something you want, something to wear and something to read. (mind you...grandparents have gone way over board and he has more gifts than he should! Hopefully after the first Christmas that will get better! :)
ReplyDeleteHere, say it like this & it rhymes:
ReplyDeleteSomething you want, something you need,
Something to wear, something to read!
That's a good idea! Our little guy may just get 1 gift from us when he's 1, 2 when he's 2...that sounds so minimalist, but you make a point..g'parents more than make up for it! Not to mention they don't even remember Christmas for the first couple o years plus he'll be getting gifts from us all stinkin' year long. ;) Merry Christmas, Bounds clan! Sure missed gettin to hang last night!