Monday, May 23, 2011

Time slips away...

...when you are caring for an infant full time. I am amazed at how many things become instinctual as a mother. You know what I am talking about. It makes sense. You spend (almost) every waking hour with your little one, so every nuance of their behavior makes sense to you. I knew that today our little one was just not 'himself' and I think we found the root of the problem: a diaper rash that got a bit out of hand. Think we got the problem worked out, and thankfully he is sleeping well & hopefully feeling better by the minute.

Lyndon is almost 7 weeks old. I'd say I can't believe it, but I guess I actually can. :) He is well on his way to new milestones, and I can't wait. I'm ready for the personality to unfold. Kinda like a little budding flower. This morning, for instance, I got a genuine smile. Not the one you see when they are just kinda 'reflexing' and going through their muscle memory...but a smile that was specifically targeted at his momma. Wide and happy. I loved it so much & could've had that moment stretch out just a bit longer.

When I DO actually get around to blogging, I'd like to begin writing letters to Lyndon. Letters that I'll save outside of the internet and share with him when the time is right. Hmmm, what would I say tonight?

Dear Lyndon,

These past 6 1/2 weeks have been life-changing. Yes, certainly in the way I spend my time. My days revolve around feeding you, changing you, cuddling you. Soothing your cries. Yet my life has changed in a new way. You have brought me a new purpose, a new love. Your daddy & I have new conversations. Sure, we find occasional moments to banter about the state of the world, music, and philosophy. However, much more of the time is spent talking about how cute & wonderful you are. We sit back & marvel at how blessed our lives have become with you in them. We were so scared to become parents, but it all made sense when you came into the world.

I still have so much to learn about being your mommy. However, I don't fret about that. Nature--God--has a way of working that out. The motivation to do the best job I can is higher than any incentive I can think of.
I love you!
~Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment