And since Tanner & I will be going to Texas to stay with friends/relatives & attending their Halloween party....I actually bought a costume! I often just 'make' something really quickly, or just say "screw it" and put on one of my hippie skirts and call it a day. But, no, I went to an actual costume store & found a costume. This is tricky when you are beginning to show & you know in another week you'll only have a bigger baby bump. (man, if I were like 8 months along I have some hilarious ideas, darn it!).
So, the giant Woopie Cushion seemed like a good preggo pick. And I even asked a shop worker if there was a pregnant lady section. ;) I WILL tell you that I was offended. You may think it takes a lot to offend me but it really doesn't....when it comes to the derogatory profiling of women that our society is so good at mastering. (oh, and that many women allow with open arms).
See, the men's costume aisle had some clever, funny stuff. Ok, it also had some super dirty stuff. (don't ask about the fireman & where they put the hose). But the ladies aisle? EVERY costume was based on super short skirts, shirts made to have boobage spilling out, and fishnets. EVERY costume. They all screamed, "I don't have brains! But I have a nice rack & I'll gladly show you my goods!" With titles like 'Sexy Nurse' (ok, that's a classic) and 'Sexy Vampire' actually on the packages...it is obvious who creates the costume market. I'm not saying that adult costumes need to all be G-rated....but c'mon, give a gal a CHOICE here! Especially a pregnant one! IF WOMEN WOULD QUIT BUYING INTO THIS CRAP IT WOULD SUBSIDE.
So, yes, I am a Woopie Cushion (and that's how they spell it on the costume itself but I beg to defer that there's an 'H' in there) because it was one of the few choices I had that would not require me to show my boobs. Here it is. And believe me, I've got boobs, but think I'll keep them a little more secret. Maybe in a faraway land where women actually get equal pay as men for equal jobs...and less men in society leave their wives & children when they decide it's time to move on...I'll chill out a little more about objectification.
I challenge anyone reading this to please do some reading (not just talking to your friends, including me) and learn for yourself why having Fallin win this coveted title is a very bad idea. Watch the debate at UCO...kfor has it posted. Here, I'll link it: click. It's really spotty at first. It takes a good 55 seconds to even show anything, but wait for it. Opening speeches immediately display the two very different kinds of women we have running this race. That ALONE sold me. :) Yet I'll save more specifics for another time because I may be up on my ranting quota today. Just call me Kelly Ogle & give me 2 cents. Ha!
~That Curl Girl
I can't believe no comments on this! C'mon, let me know if I'm tickin' you off even! I know there are blog creepers out there.....
ReplyDelete