Monday, October 18, 2010

Things I've Meant to Write...

I've had some bits & pieces of thoughts over the past few weeks. Things I want to remember because they either a)make me smile or b)might make you smile. Things that remind me that, yes, we DO live in a sunny, funny world if we stop & look for it.

--ok, so about 3 weeks ago, I was having a stress-filled grocery store run. There are many reasons why it was more laborious than even the routine trip:
a)I'm preggers. Did I mention that yet? Oh, because I will like 46 more times in this blog alone. You see, I don't know if this happens to EVERYone, but my sense of smell is so heightened right now that the mere cracking of the refrigerator door sends whiffs to my nose that often make me lose my appetite. And I throw things out BEFORE they expire. So the grocery store is an extremely, shall we say, sensory experience. I find my gag reflex gets excercised well there, particularly walking past the bakery or the produce (don't ask why, I don't know!)
b) This was my third trip to a grocery store to find the ONE thing I wanted. I wanted, no I NEEDED snow crab legs. And everyone had king crab, but Noooooooo, not snow! So, finally found some (sub-par) legs & also grabbed a 12-pack...of root beer, silly! So juggling this in line & the guy in front of me is talking brilliantly fast in Spanish on his cell. He gets off & IMMEDIATELY grabs my 12-pck and sets it on the conveyor. Didn't even say a word. I felt so touched by this...I was honestly about to judge him (cell phone talkers in line? arrgghh) and he instead shed a bright spot on my mini craving/crisis and actually made me feel like humanity as a whole just scored a big, fat point. I thanked him. He smiled & in perfect, dialect-free English: "Man, I can't stand that when I'm holding something heavy in line!" He waved to me & left. Not a flirty wave, a kind happy wave. I told the cashier (as she punched the crab leg code into the register) that he just totally made my day.

---I was sick in bed on my official first day of my second trimester, which was last Friday. And that was supposed to be a "crossing of the threshold" of sorts. I've heard rumors--nasty, false rumors--that you SUDDENLY, magically feel 110% better when you hit trimester dos. Ok, so I have a nasty head cold & my husband is outta town instead. He was gone for 4 days floating the gorgeous Buffalo River with his BFF and his fiance. It was a trip that I was to go on with them (they wanted us 4 to do an engagement trip with them) but when I got preggo we decided that me in remote, cell phone-free locations canoeing and camping was not the best idea. Did I mention I also have high anxiety & am a hypochondriac? So...barely getting to talk to Tan & wishing I was there. On the flipside, once I got well, it was kinda fun to suddenly have all this time to myself...going to sit at coffee shops & being silent for hours. I know I can do that whether my husband is in town or not, but there's something totally different about truly being "on your own" for a few days. I had a very rich, independent, long singlehood...so this side of myself is super fun to revisit.....but I missed Tanner a ton & I was almost NERVOUS the night he was to come home. I didn't want to bombard him. I just cooked him a little dinner & planted a wet one on him. (He looked hot & rugged & tan after his Tom Sawyer-esque adventure). And I'll end there, I promise, but it reminds me that I love BOTH sides of myself....the cooking wifey and the adventurous solo chick. Never wanna lose either one!

*I have more vignettes about the life & times of a grad schoolin', baby-growin', newlyweddin', guitar-slingin' gal from Okie City...but it's bubble bath time for this kindergarten-teaching (my current clinical assignment for my autism program) gal & my feet ache for the warm (yes, only warm) water! I'll return again, my lovlies!
~That Curl Girl


1 comment:

  1. Yay second trimester! around 15 or 16 weeks sickness usually does go away! it didn't end right way for me either! And i totally feel you on the smell thing! it can get bad sometimes! i hope kindergarten is going well! :)

    ReplyDelete