Friday, February 4, 2011

Some Recap

Yeah, there were a few 'documentations' I hadn't gotten around to yet. And like many folks out there, you are getting a slew of blogs this week...because I've got nothing but time! This week I've cooked more meals for my hubs & I than ever (been fun!) and if I could get paid for the hours on facebook, I'd have the rest of my schooling totally taken care of. :)

So we are on day 4 of the Hubbert house hole-up. Tanner has a job that he can actually do quite well from home, so he technically has not had a "snow day." But I bet he thinks it's pretty nice to take itty bitty breaks to play with the dogs or what-not.

So last weekend (remember those high 70s and sunshine just last weekend?) Gena Marie & I drove to Tulsa. Yup, my friend is in the Tulsa Symphony & I tagged along for the weekend. She had Friday night & Saturday afternoon rehearsal for the Sat. night concert, so they put her up in a DoubleTree and she makes a weekend of it. Pretty cool friend adventure, eh?

And, you gotta understand, I used to be SUCH a traveler. Hotels were my second home! These days--wow, the pendulum has swung! Not because I can't necessarily travel (I could even fly up until 2 weeks ago according to the preggo books)...I just truly don't WANT to do much. Energy level definitely changes when ya got a little developing human in ya. My neighborhood walks and my trips to the 3rd floor at UCO are my excercise. But, yeah, I hadn't gotten outta town-- except for a family visit on Thanksgiving--since our June Honeymoon!

I sat backstage during her Friday night rehearsal. I gotta say, I met some eclectic folks back there! We dubbed one man Preying Mantis because he does all kinds of stretches & ya never know when he may just SPRING into action on his instrument. ;) At one point I went and sat out in the concert hall to listen. There were 2 other people in the 'audience' with me in a room that probably holds 1500. It was a very cool setting. The music was gorgeous--a latin twist featuring Quartet San Francisco. I ended up moving up a few rows because I think baby dug it!

After that we just came back to our posh room and Gena wistfully caught up with her kiddos who had just attended their first Thunder game in OKC. (I am sure this gig she has can be bittersweet).

Saturday afternoon Gena rehearsed more while I lounged at the hotel. I also got some of a paper done, but mostly lounged. :) There were some gorgeous walking trails out back, and it WAS beautiful that day (gee, I look outside at the ice & snow right now and can hardly believe this was just LAST weekend!) so I played around outside for a bit.

That night, we arrived at the Performing Arts Center early, Gena went on to her backstage call and I killed a bit o time at the hoppin' sushi place that is right near the concert hall. It was a long wait just for a California roll & seaweed salad (nothing raw these days, folks), but it was fun. I talked to a very nice yet jet-setting couple who had 3 kiddos; she saw my belly and wanted to talk preggo with me.

Ok, so eat my Japanese fare, walk into the Art Center lobby, take the descending steps to get to my seating area...and as my foot hits that last step...I just eat it. Hard. I topple to the ground, my purse flies outta my hand, and I'm suddenly a crumple of mess on the floor. The two older ladies behind rush to me, "Are you okay, dear?" And they help me up and then realize that I am pregnant. So then, of course, they are rushing me to a little bench & the female ushers near by are checkin' on me. I am sucking back tears---I realize at first that they were mere tears of humiliation, then they become tears of fear: "Did I hurt baby Hubbert?" "Do I need to let Tanner know?" I am flooded with thoughts. It is then that I realize that I didn't land on my belly at all, thank the heavens. See, both my knees were pretty scuffed up, and my palms hurt, so I know I caught myself before any belly met the floor. Phew! My abdomen didn't hurt at all....but, boy did my pride!

The thing is, I didn't trip ON anything. Literally, my left ankle just decided it didn't wanna work anymore. It just gave out! I actually had to sit and rotate my ankle for a few minutes to make sure it was ok because it hurt like a banchee. I was clumsy before gaining extra weight on my frontside, but seems like I am now more clumsy than ever.

I finally assured the women I was okay and then realized that I actually needed to take the elevator anyway, so I stepped in and it was then that I cried. I just suddenly wanted to talk to Tanner. I knew I couldn't call Gena, as she was taking the stage at that very moment. :)

I made a mental note that I would walk out of the first act just one song early so I'd have plenty of time to call Tanner during intermission. As I heard the beautiful strings and brass, my nerves finally calmed. It took about 2 pieces in to feel ok. After calling Tanner at intermission, I got back to my seat before it was over & talked to a nice older man whose granddaughter was the harpist. (is that how you say it?)

All was well.

So, the night was saved, the trip was, overall, very relaxing & just what I needed. I don't get around much these days & I am certain that was my big road trip until at least June! So, thanks, Gena, for dragging along your pregnant, clumsy, emotional, boring friend! You don't know how much I needed that!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry. I read this and totally forgot to comment. I think that's because I got interrupted like five times by my kids when I would attempt a straight read through. I'm so glad you got to go with me and I had SO MUCH FUN. Sorry you tripped when you are almost 8 months pregnant and I wasn't there to help you up. I would have cluck clucked around you like those little old ladies, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete