Sunday, June 26, 2011

Laughter. Kid-Style.

Some of my favorite moments of laughter are when the 12-yr-old spends the night. I was giggling so hard about the Halloween costumes we were coming up with for her yorkie poo, Bear: Justin Bei-bear, Beary Potter (complete with a scar!), and other fun tidbits. We also misheard each other during a conversation, thus it led to a funny quip, and I could NOT stop laughing as we worked out the miscommunication.

As adults, the nature of humor changes. It often falls in categories such as:

1. political satire
2. sarcasm (usually mean-spirited)
3. "haha, I'm smarter than you so I get this joke" joke-- I don't know what you call that humor, those of you smarter than the average bear about the history of humor can fill us in...and then make a joke of that naure, of course, since we wouldn't be as smart as you anyway ;)
4. dirty/raunchy

Yes, sometimes satire & sarcasm regarding world views are funny. Sometimes adult wit is cool and just plain hilarious. But silliness trumps it all.

Point being, it's fun (and important) to just enjoy silly stuff! Laugh at totally corny words. Get tears streaming down your face over a misunderstood word you exchange with someone. Spend an hour joking about what Halloween costumes you can make for your pet. No crude implication, no vicious intent, no jab at anything/one, no elitist front required.

There are probably many adults that forget that.

I probably would if it were not for the times like this in my life.

Thanks, niece. :)

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree. And there will come a time when Lyndon is making up silly 1st grade humor words, thinks toots are funny, will laugh hysterically in the backseat to kiddie lyrics, and dress the dog in his underwear. I promise you, it's the best kind of medicine there is. To laugh uncontrollably at an immature joke when you know you should be keeping a straight face and being the parent. I think my kids love me even more when I can join them in childish laughter.

    ReplyDelete