Monday, August 24, 2009

August 24th

This date is a very special date for my father. It is the birthday of his late mother, and 31 years ago, it was the day before a child was born that was probably a little more than he bargained for---me. Yes, I was not an easy child to raise, and I acknowledge that now. I was stubborn, strong-willed, and always insisted on doing things the hard way. Still do, I suppose. ;)

I had every intention of calling my dad today just to see how he was doing. My grandmother has only been gone a few years, and I suspect that this day is still difficult for him.

However, I had to make a premature call when I realized that my tire was totally flat. I normally wouldn't even worry too much, but I couldn't miss class in Edmond today. Some quick action had to be taken.

My dad totally helped me out----as well as sweet Matthew at the Autobahn on NW 37th & Western (there's my plug). With a call to my professor to say I'd be late, I still pulled off attendance to two classes tonight.

Yet the true highlight came after class ended. Without going into too much detail, my two best friends really were there for me tonight. There was something very important that I needed to do, and they were there. Nothing in this world can replace true, unconditional friendship. It is what makes life beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment