Friday, August 14, 2009

School is in session...for teachers.

The first day of school is August 21st in my world. Yet I've been reporting back to work since August 10. We've had some serious renovations this summer and there's lots to do. I got a brand new office, literally. They have built several new rooms in the school, this being one. Got some decorating to do, and have already begun my paperwork. I no longer call the classroom my office, a role which began last year; I coordinate all special services for our high school and often spend more time calling kids into my office for testing and tutoring or holding a parent meeting more than I am doing any group instructing. It is truly the perfect fit for me & I feel rewarded almost daily. I focus on helping "my" kids figure out their plans after high school, as well as connecting them with the right community agencies depending on disabilities and career interests. My new office is right by the principal, and across from the counselor.

We've all had the jobs where you'd rather deal with your superiors as little as possible, but I am so fortunate to not have that sentiment in the slightest at my school. I am lucky to be able to say that I absolutely love talking to my boss and feel comfortable stepping into the office to discuss any topic that needs some review. I feel valued, listened to, and respected. And not just by him, but by the other principal (whose become a dear friend) in the middle school and the other teachers.
I think when you have work relationships swinging in the right direction, it makes it easier to a) realize when you are wrong about something with little defensive stance b) try to improve your abilities c) find creative ways to approach a task and d) want to come to work even if you DO feel like crap! :)

And, yes, no one likes sitting in teacher meetings for days at a time. But it ain't so bad when you look at the big picture and see that you are amongst kindred spirits---folks who want to help shape a life, impact a child, and perhaps make the city you live in just a little bit brighter. There are good things going on at 23rd & Penn...bring on the first day o' school!

1 comment:

  1. GAIL! This has made my year having YOUR blog to stalk. I'm already loving the glimpse into your teaching days. There's just only so much in-depth conversation we can have about our careers when we are holding instruments. ;) Love ya.

    ReplyDelete