So my 'alert' signal went up when he said that I need to keep Saturday open last week. Hmmm, he's planning something. Granted, it WAS my official birthday weekend, so not too alarmed, but of course the wheels were turning a little since he a) recently took my favorite silver band & kept it in his wallet and b) did a little ring shopping with me.
At first, I inquired if we could go out for my birthday on Friday. There was a musical in town for one night only that I thought sounded fun on Saturday. Many talented peeps I know in "Rainbow Around the Sun."
However, he said it needed to be Saturday, so I smiled & complied. Wonder if he's gonna..... ?
He went out with my brother on Friday night, and little did I know the final plans were being hatched.
Saturday, I had to be gone from the house from 4 to 6:30. Again, hmmm. So, mom & I went to a little Asian culture festival on Classen as well as a trip to the gigantic Asian market. I showed her what Pho was (yum!) and she had her first Boba (sp?) tea, which I lovingly call Bubble Tea. It was fun to run around, yet our time got a little intense as we were driving through Mesta Park. Mom suddenly said, "You've gotta pull over! Everything is spinning." This scared me half to death because the last time this happened---last Thanksgiving---my mom had her first serious onset of Vertigo and ended up in the hospital for several days. I'd never seen anything like it. We couldn't move her at all without her vomiting profusely. It was a crazy couple of days almost a year ago.
Luckily this time she did not go into that mode. She relaxed for a few minutes; I tried to talk calmly. "Mom, OU Health Sciences is nearby if we need to head that way." She lay still for a while and slowly felt good enough to raise her head up & request that we get back on the road.
I called my brother: "Mark, mom can't drive home. I am going to drive her. Can you take me back to the city?"
"Yea, I was going to head there later anyway. I was going to your house."
Hmmmmm.
Now, three things blew my theory of possible proposal. 1. Mom had said all day when I implied that this may be IT, "Don't be disappointed Lisa. Don't get your hopes up." Turns out she knew nothing, but I figured she did & I listened to her advice. 2. Mark said he was just coming down to play video games with Tanner, nothing unusual there. 3. When Mark & I arrived at the house, Lindy & Kevin's cars were there. So, the surprise was that Tanner asked some friends over for dinner!
Ok, so I got out of "engagement mode" and decided to just kick back and enjoy my birthday dinner. And what a feast it was! Kenny & Kevin work serious magic in the kitchen, and there were more delicious, homemade Asian dishes than you could shake a stick at. Fun!
The meal was fabulous, and I couldn't quit trying all the delicious foods. Yet at one point, Tanner said, "Save room for dessert!"
He went in the kitchen & brought out a small Asian-themed tray with fortune cookies (thanks, Laura, for all the cool dishes you give me!). He had everyone open theirs one at a time, and each message was personalized. I was last. My heart raced at this point. My stomach flipped. What would mine say?
"Will you marry me?"
It's a blur, but I know I put my hands over my face because (for once!) I was speechless and shy. Then Tanner dropped to one knee and presented a ring. I jumped up and said YES. Followed by an immediate run to the kitchen because I got very flustered! He came back & we walked in together, all grins. Everyone toasted & for about 30 minutes, I was still trying to soak it all in. He did it, he caught me off guard.
The rest of the evening was followed with more toasts, several phone calls to family, a little live music, and lots of celebration.
I am thrilled to know that I am spending the rest of my life with my best friend, my confidant, and my true love. Never say never, because I didn't think it could all make so much sense and fall into place so beautifully. It was a natural step for us, and I think we knew it pretty early on. There's no rush when you are with the right person because you know you are on the same page, walking the same path.
I look forward to a future with Tanner, and I thank God that we found each other.
Congrats Lisa! So happy for you!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful.
ReplyDelete