Sunday, August 16, 2009

An Uncoventional Day

Had to have my brake pads changed yesterday, and I am so lucky as a proud VW owner to have a friend that is a VW-certified mechanic. Yes, I do the big stuff at the dealer (100K mile tune up, check) but little things here and there can be done by him, and it saves me serious dough.

Tanner and I decided to save the ozone, and some gas money, and just wait together while Jason did this quickie job. We grabbed some Bueno (mmm) and just sat under a tree near his work space and had a fast food picnic. Then we both brought our books and read in the shade. I am reading something that I know I'll need for a class I start this week (already?), but I am finding it's also a pleasure book for me. It is written by physicians, and it is about the "changing course" of autism. Doctors are discovering there are many more physiological aspects to it than known before, and they now question if it should even be categorized as a mental disability. It will be 5 long (and from what I hear, hard) college courses, but I will eventually be ABA certified, which means I will be considered an "expert" in diagnosing autism. It is in addition to my School Psychology degree, but apparently if you have this certification you are very much "sought out" and paid more for your services. At the moment I know very little on autism, aside from a wonderful fiction book I read this summer written through the eyes of an autistic boy. (Gena, did you read it?) Oh, and from what everyone probably thinks of, a childhood viewing of "Rainman." :)

But I digress. I wanted to write specifically about my friends Jason (VW expert) and Nicole. They have 3 beautiful little girls and are truly one of the most unconventional little family units I know. Nicole is the most driven artist I've ever come across...the two don't always go hand in hand. Her local reputation is that of "ceramic corset girl," but there's so many more aspects to her art. She puts together several events in the OKC art community and does custom tiling for all types of things, from swimming pools to kitchen counters. Her art is truly unique and gorgeous. We were at their house last night and I always have to go look at their bathroom. From ceiling to tub to floor, the entire room is custom tile. It is as if you are sitting at the bottom of the ocean. And it glows in the dark. :) Someday I will have her tile something in my house.

Nicole and Jason "look" like artists, and if you didn't know any better, you might assume they are some of those irresponsible hippie types that hang on the Paseo and Red Cup, drinking coffee, complaining about our government, all the while never doing anything about it & never getting a job. (you know the type) But, no, these two work their butts off and truly will never "sell out" for a slice of the American pie.

What I love most is this: Despite their progressive views of the world and their fervor for living their artistry dreams, they are wonderful, wonderful parents to those little girls. Zoie, Aztrid, and Estrella (ages 9,6, and 3) are encouraged to be creative, are never spoiled with lavish material things (the girls don't even seem to care), and truly know they are loved. Nicole is more liberal than I, but when it comes to her children, she is a "momma hen" that wants them to value honesty and character. I know this because she models it well for them. She and Jason are in that "circle" of people that I trust 100%. And I guess she feels the same because she needed some emergency babysitting the other day, and she told me that she only asked me, her dad, and her aunt. "I don't trust many people with my girls," she explained. And rightfully so.

The girls attend many artistic events around town with Mom....Zoie modeled for a Latino bridal show yesterday...so I am sure Nicole comes into contact with some of the most diverse people around. Probably also some of the most liberal when we are talking about some of her more progressive events (aka Biting the Apple). Yet she knows well that when it comes to children, you must protect and nurture their well-being. I just love those little girls and it is wonderful to know that they are living the true artist way, yet they are being given a solid foundation of love and truth.

An unconventional family. I like seeing that. Somewhere in time society seemed to tell us what the perfect life is supposed to look like. I love it when people stray from it and successfully prove you don't have to do it the way it's been done before.

No comments:

Post a Comment