With routines back in tact, families seem to shift into new patterns, friends are more consistently back in town, and projects begin to ensue.
In my lovely corner of the universe, I am excited to work with the kids I have the honor of serving daily. There are about 330 kids in our high school, and though only 32 are officially assigned to me, I make a point to know as many names as I can. A friendly wave in the crowded hallway, a quick, "Havin' a good day?", a silly joke exchanged. All these little occurrences are truly important. I know I appreciated it when I was a confused, busy teenager. I try to put my frame of reference there-- what was it like for ME?--and the rest seems to fall in place.
I am a special education teacher, but I feel anyone working in a school is also a counselor, a mentor, an encourager, and a friend.
You know, in Japan a teacher is held in the highest esteem, even more than a doctor. It's true. I don't believe it is a coincidence that they also have a 99% literacy rate, as well as an almost non-existent homeless population.
Encourage the teachers, principals, counselors, cafeteria ladies, and custodians you know. They are doing important yet often underestimated work with your children. With your friend's children. Your neighbor's children.
The community you save just may be your own.
No comments:
Post a Comment